Loving God, we pray that we might grasp the gift of a full Easter life each moment of each day, recognising your blessings in each person we meet and in creation. We make this prayer in Jesus’ name. Amen
This week, the newly completed Helene Province comes to life! Staff and students have moved into this stunning new space this week, following nearly 18 months of construction. Year 9, 10 and 11 Mentor Groups will occupy the Helene Province with all students having classes there in Food Technology, Materials Technology, General classrooms as well as accessing Careers, Counselling and all services within the Helene Library. The Helene Province honors Helene de Chappotin, Foundress of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM) who established Ave Maria College in 1963. When the FMM sisters presented the case for Helene (Mary of the Passion) to be canonized, Pope John Paul II described Helene as one who combined a mystical and active vocation, she was passionate and intrepid and gave herself with an intuitive and bold readiness to the universal mission of the Church.
Please look out for an opportunity for all parents and friends of the College to walk through the Helene Province ahead of our formal Blessing and Opening later in the year.
I take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support of this most significant building project. It brings to completion the second stage of the College Master Building Plan, supported by the State Government, Catholic Development Fund, College Board of Governance, Hayball Architects, Melbcon Construction and internal resources. We acknowledge staff and students who have occupied the portable classrooms adjacent to the College, affectionately named the Assisi site for the last 18 months.
Visiting Friends From Timor-Leste
This week we are very pleased to be welcoming two friends from Timor-Leste who will be spending the next fortnight in our community. Dulcita and Inocencia will get involved in College life and will work with staff and students to further learn about education in Australia, building their English speaking skills and sharing their faith and life with us.
Federal Election – What is being said about education?
With the federal election being held this weekend, I invite your consideration of what is being pledged for Education by the major political parties. Please refer to THIS LINK for a break down of major commitments and directions put forward by the Coalition, Labor and the Greens.
Thank you Messages to Members of the Community
In recent weeks, we have invited parent and community members to be involved in a range of initiatives and thank everyone for such a strong response to these events:
- Supporting our Careers Benchmarking process via survey and/or consultation
- Supporting our Year 8 Student Wellbeing Day with such strong parent presence for the twilight seminar with past student Mel Tracina
- Supporting Kick Arts – our student run performing arts event in conjunction with St Columba’s and St Bernard’s – a great evening of entertainment! Congratulations to the Drama ensemble for taking out that category on the night, with stellar performances also by College vocalists, dancers and Abbey Crowley as Co host. Thanks to College Co-captains, Eliza Gollant and Natalie Cierpisz for their great leadership of this event and to all families who supported their attendance.
- Supporting the recent Principal Summative review – my personal thanks to those parents who offered feedback and support of this process.
Congratulations to a number of students who have extended their learning in a range of initiatives in recent weeks:
- Model of United Nations Assembly (MUNA) candidates Mia Ranelletta and Michelle Shaaya, representing their nominated country, Iraq. Michelle and Mia were wonderful in engaging in the Assembly held at Swinburne University and sponsored by the Rotary Club of Essendon North.
- Mooting Competition – Congratulations, Tara Clark, Sara Hinton and Alessia Graziano for representing Ave Maria College in the national Mooting Competition on the Gold Coast last weekend. We thank Chris Moss and Ms Bianca Ganci (chaperone) for accompanying the girls in this wonderful opportunity.