What a week! What a term! What a year!
At the start of the year we focused on seeking new adventures with a positive and resilient mindset and oh, how much we needed these skills in the ‘Year that was 2020!’ As we reflect on the year, there have been some incredible challenges that we have worked hard to overcome together. These have seen many positives as we have refocused on family, friendships, staying safe and helping others. Our motto of ‘be kind’ has never been as important. Working together is the cornerstone of ensuring we can all make a positive difference, not just for ourselves and each other, but for the world. A huge thank you to all members of our school community for what has been an incredulous 2020! We look forward to welcoming you all back refreshed and ready for a fabulous 2021!
Governing Council AGM 2021
Our Annual General Meeting will take place on Monday 8th February, in Term 1 2021. The school has a number of continuing members but will also be seeking nominations for new members. If you are interested in finding out more about the role of a Governing Council member please email email@example.com or come along and collect a volunteer pack. Other roles you may want to support in 2021 include action teams, classroom support, trips and excursions, sports programs and canteen. We truly value the work that volunteers do and the difference you make. All 2021 volunteers will need to ensure they have completed the appropriate forms and training to be compliant with the Volunteer Policy and Processes. Online access to complete these forms is available through the following link - VOLUNTEER ONLINE FORMS
Class Structure and Class Placements
In 2021 we will have 23 classes across school for over 600 students. Children have visited their new class and teachers on Wednesday morning and reports and class placement letters were also sent home. Please share with your child their successes and celebrate their achievement and effort. Each child’s goals and next steps are identified in their reports and one way you can continue to support your child’s learning is by helping them to practice these and continuing to promote daily reading.
Reports have been sent via email today (please check junk mail) and are also available via the Sentral Parent Portal for those that have registered to use it - continued access is via SENTRAL PARENT PORTAL. If you have not received a PDF version via email please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your child's full name and 2020 class.
West Lakes Shore School has a range of outstanding staff with a vast range of skills and qualities. At the end of 2021 we say goodbye to some contract and long-serving permanent staff. We say our formal goodbyes to:
- Kieran Davison who took up a position, earlier in the year, as Deputy Principal at Largs Bay Primary School. Kieran is a passionate, organised leader with a great sense of fun. He has settled well in his new role and we wish him every success.
- April Watts has been successful in securing a full-time Japanese position nearer to home and we thank April for her hard work delivering Japanese and the school Immersion program.
- Georgia Casbarra will take up new opportunities in Performing Arts, as we welcome Wendy Banks back from maternity leave.
- Mitch Boulton has secured a contract teaching position and has done a wonderful job after stepping in mid year behind the Year 5 class.
- Ms Ayumi will take up a permanent teaching role at Grange. Early in 2021, she will commence maternity leave and we wish her and her husband all the very best and good luck for the imminent arrival of baby Suzuki.
We wish all staff leaving our school the best for their future careers and thank them for the hard work and commitment to making a difference for each and every child.
- Fay Anderson will continue as Assistant Principal leading Student progress and Student needs; Fay has done an incredible job supporting the vast range of needs of every child and ensuring each child is set up for success in their 2021 class.
- Jacqui Thomas will take up a full-time role as Wellbeing Teacher.
We welcome the following new staff to our school:
- Year 4 class - P3: Darrien Newcombe
- Year 2 class - ST2: Hayley Gladigeau
- Japanese: Rose Stone and Sarah Howard.
- Donna Shillingford will also join us in an AET role and various backfill teaching positions.
Year 7 Graduation
The time at Primary School is coming to an end for our Year 7 students. This time can be a mixture of happiness, anxiety, joy and fear as students reflect, look forward and consider their next pathway of learning. We would like to take this opportunity to wish all our Year 7s good luck. The graduation ceremony to recognise each of our students took place last night at the Christian Family Centre. The students were outstanding in their presentation and respectfully and responsibly represented themselves and West Lakes Shore School. We have loved nurturing each individual Year 7 and helping them grow into their unique selves. Good bye and Good Luck!
Students and Families leaving the West Lakes Shore School Community
To all of our Year 6 student leavers heading off to High School and other children leaving our school - we wish you the very best at your new school in 2021 and beyond. To the families, thank you for being a part of our school community and we hope your children continue to grow at their new school.
‘Living in Harmony’
In Term 1 our whole-school Connected Curriculum will be titled ‘Living in Harmony’ and will focus on developing citizenship skills in every one of our students. Our termly values focus will look at building respect. A key important aspect about living in Harmony is respecting individuality. As as inclusive school we work with children with a wide range of needs and endeavour to support every child’s social, emotional and academic needs. Please do not hesitate to let your child's class teacher know any information that can help us support them with a great start in 2021!
We look forward to working together in partnership with you all in 2021. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Have a great holiday and enjoy the festivities.
Carol, Helen and Fay