Currently we are finalizing the term 4 rounds of the Governing Council sub committees, and I think it is timely to reflect on the huge amount of work undertaken by parents in these groups.
- has overseen the huge amount of funds that we have put towards our ICT, flexible furniture and grounds. They have made sure we are on track with our spending, and that our Site Improvement goals are well resourced into 2020.
- have run numerous fundraising activities including Mothers' and Fathers' Day stalls, and are currently putting together the Christmas raffle. They also discussed and provided feedback for policy reviews; this year updating our behaviour code and antibullying policy along with our school sport policy. They also approved our 2020 major fundraiser.... COLOUR RUN!!!
- the committee worked on menu development and ensuring it fits the Right Bite policy requirements. They also worked towards levels of sustainability by changing over our packaging to be recyclable or compostable. Jackie has taken a lead on this and is now our recycling champ! They are currently considering ways to increase parent volunteers for 2020.
- have a sustainability focus particularly waste reduction. The new gabion stations are working really well and we have decreased from 14 mixed waste bins, to 4 per week utilising the Council garbage service!! The grounds committee also focused on our garden areas and nature play.... it has been a hard process (we are up to our third contractor) but has now started with the improvements to the JP sandpit. They also facilitated a gardening club in the vegetable garden which runs each Friday lunchtime.
- provide oversight of the service, ratify and provide feedback on the policies and programs for Vacation Care and OSHC. They also consider spending options and upgrades for the service. The new garden beds out the front look fantastic and a bench seat will soon be installed outside that will provide extra storage.
- have considered site data, contributed to Site Improvement Planning and discussed the effectiveness of our current strategies. They supported the development of our new reporting document and are an excellent sounding board for the core work of the school and assist us to understand the needs of our community.
The sub committee structure of Governing Council work works well to support us to maintain a clear focus on our core business at the school, improving literacy and numeracy outcomes for all students. Thank you to all the participants for the time and energy they put into caring for our school.